By Susan Robertson – January 25, 2018
As we turn the page to the next year, many of us will take the opportunity to reset our goals and intentions. We will look at what we’ve accomplished, the things we didn’t achieve, and set new commitments for the new year.
What are your goals and intentions this year? What is it most important for you to achieve this year?
According to Statistic Brain, about 41% of Americans make new years’ resolutions, but only 9% follow through. Why not take the challenge and be part of the 9% who keep their goals?
What types of goals are important to you?
Here are 3 tactics you can use to ensure that you accomplish your goals:
- Ensure the goal is really important. Ask yourself, can you live without it? Assess how many goals make sense for you, and try to keep to fewer, more meaningful ones.
- Be specific so you can measure your results. How will you know when you have met the goal? Not everything is numerical, but have a clear idea of what success looks like.
- Work a little everyday towards your goals. Schedule small chunks of time into each day or week to devote to your goals.
Celebrate progress, reflect and adjust if needed. We commonly admonish ourselves when we get off track. Be sure to acknowledge even small progress, and the learning that goes along with the effort.
Hashtag your resolution
For those who use social media, or for other types of communications, create fun hashtags about your goals to you consistently remind yourself what you want to achieve. You change your internal consciousness, focus, and attention.
Create a hashtag for your 3 most important 2018 goals. For example, if your goal is to be healthy then #Iamfit might work. Another example might be #IListen. Then:
- Hashtag your goals once per week in social media or in other appropriate communications. When you do this, you affirm the intention and the condition you are trying to create in your life.
- Say your hashtag lines to yourself 3 times per day. This is positively affirming language.
- Meditate on your goals and visualize yourself achieving your goals. Include your hashtag affirmations during the meditation. Rather than focus on all the steps required, focus on the end-state you want to achieve.
Most importantly, enjoy the process of creating your goals, and finding creative ways to stay on track and achieve what is important to you.
To help you stay on track, here is a “10-Minute Goals Meditation” for you. Listen to this every day to help you achieve your goals.
We would love to hear how it works for you. Please send us your stories!